Welcome!

Hi, and welcome to the This Has to be God! blog! We're pretty amazed at what God is doing in our lives, starting with pulling together a lyricist from Texas and a musician from Romania to write songs for His glory. If you want to read the whole story of how we "met" and got started, you can click the "in the beginning" label down to the right. Or just click here.
Of course, we love feedback! You can leave a comment on any post on the blog, or you can e-mail us at thishastobeGod@psalm686.com.
Enjoy the blog, and may God richly bless you!

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Raluca's story

My name is Raluca, I'm 16, I'm from Romania (somewhere in Eastern Europe....) and I'm a huge EHSS fan!
In 2007 I "discovered" my gift of composing. Well, I was writing songs 10 years ago too, but those were just simple tunes, nothing worth listening to! :P First I started composing instrumental music (piano solo with soundtracks) and then I thought "Nobody listens to this kind of music....I should try writing SONGS (with lyrics)". The lyric part doesn't work for me...sorry, I just CAN'T write lyrics (well, I can write silly poems, stuff like "Silly Songs With Larry" from Veggie Tales, but in my language...since in Romania there are no professional groups like in the USA, I had no chance of writing a song...). My Mom advised me to take a public-domain poem and put music to it. I did...after one week, we sang it in church. I was so thrilled....the first time somebody sings my song!!!

As for my piano-solo pieces, I played them in my school and people were excited about them, but my wish was to write songs WITH LYRICS.

In 2008 I went to Ben Speer's Stamps Baxter School Of Music where I took some piano and songwriting classes. I had the privilege to study with Sue C. Smith who writes songs for EHSS (I was so shocked, I could hardly believe it!) and she taught me a lot of things about merging the music and lyrics. At that school I met a good lyricist and we started working together, but after writing a couple of songs, we didn't keep in touch...and I also gave up the idea of becoming a composer. I started writing my own lyrics, but it took me a lot of time..... and they're not as good as any other lyricist's.
I joined EHSS's Message Board in early 2008 and made a lot of friends! In August-September, a nice girl showed up and joined this big awesome family! I knew her as "giveasmile" until she wrote her name in her signature, "Haley"--and the rest is history :) OK, wait I'll write it :P

Somebody started a thread about sending songs to EHSS and I posted "Oh, I'd love it if EHSS sang my songs" and Haley replied: "And I'd love it if EHSS sang my.........hmm.....poems? *rolleyes*" When I read that I was like: WHAT??? Ta-da! Let's send her a personal message...and request some lyrics...>:) (I meant....POEMS!)She got kinda curious about it......she sent me a poem called Desert Places, and as I read it, I was thinking "Wow, I really feel this way these days! This lyric is great! Thank you, Haley!" I wrote a simple melody, I didn't want it to be very fancy, 'cause the message was so simple, so I had to keep it all simple! :) (as musicians would say...keep it "singable!")

God is good! I think He has a LOT in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving us a comment--we love to get feedback! Please note that comment moderation has been enabled, so your comment will not appear until it's been approved by one of us.
God bless you!